Charter a Railway Carriage, The Luxury Option on Australia’s Indian Pacific
Written by: Jovanka Ristich
Date: 21st March 2017
Great Southern Rail has unveiled its newest Indian Pacific luxury rail experience, the freshly refitted and refurbished Chairmans Carriage*.
Visitors to Australia can now opt to travel between Sydney and Perth, via Adelaide and visa versa, in the Chairmans Carriage which features three Platinum Double and one Platinum Twin cabin.
But, for the ultimate in luxury and privacy, the Chairmans Carriage can be chartered for sole use with prices starting from AUD$25,000 (approx. £15,600).
The Chairmans Carriage was gutted last October with part of the refit including the realignment of the carriage windows to ensure each new cabin has a view on both sides of the train. The Carriage now offers a private lounge area equipped with TV and bar facilities.
This new service is the latest in a long list of enhanced options available on the Indian Pacific which this year sees:
- The 100th anniversary of the completion of the Sydney to Perth railway line.
- The introduction of NEW OFF RAIL EXPERIENCES between Sydney and Perth including Adelaide Hills – an intimate foodie tour featuring a local artisan chocolate or cheese producer, followed by dinner in the historic town of Hahndorf
- NEW OFF RAIL EXPERIENCES between Perth and Sydney including Kalgoorlie – a theatre performance of “Paddy Hannan’s Ounce of Luck” production, the story of boom and bust in this mining town, and Rawlinna – a special Outback breakfast hosted in this remote Nullarbor town.
- BAILS & RAILS – a special cricket themed package combining the live action excitement of the Ashes with the experience of everything in between whilst travelling from Adelaide to Perth on the Indian Pacific.
At the end of the year the Chairmans Carriage will transfer to The Ghan, offering the same exclusive experience between Darwin and Adelaide, via Alice Springs and vice versa.
PRICES START FROM:
- AUD$3,149 per adult for Platinum accommodation.
- AUD$25,000 for sole use charter.
PLEASE NOTE* The Chairmans Carriage has deliberately been spelt without an apostrophe.
- Length of journey: 4,352 km
- Route: Sydney to Perth via Adelaide and visa versa
- This is one of Australia’s two trans-continental rail journeys
- Duration: four days and three nights (65 hours)