Explore More Australia with New Extended Rail Experiences
Written by: George Ristich
Date: 19th January 2015
For the 2015/2016 season, Great Southern Rail has extended its legendary Ghan experience by a day, launching a new four-day/three-night service which allows more time to take in iconic Australian sights and destinations.
The extra day and night, added to the Ghan’s southbound Darwin to Adelaide route, make this a 76-hour adventure featuring more time in Alice Springs, a new excursion to Coober Pedy – which this year celebrates its centenary – and an optional trip to Uluru (Ayers Rock).
The Ghan Expedition, only available during peak season (23rd May – 22nd August 2015) includes:
- A full day’s touring in Alice Springs concluding with a dinner under the stars at the magnificent MacDonnell Ranges
- A full day’s touring in the underground town of Coober Pedy, renowned as the opal mining capital of the world. There is also a chance to see the stunning outback moonscape of the Breakaways
- An optional scenic flight of the ultimate Australian icon, Uluru (at extra cost)
Commenting on the Ghan’s new off rail experiences, Great Southern Rail spokesman Steve Kernaghan said: “There’s really no other way you can visit three or four iconic Australian destinations in such a short space of time while still enjoying the luxury and comfort that The Ghan delivers. Guests have traditionally had to end their Ghan adventure at Alice Springs to fly or drive to Uluru. With the new four-day Ghan service, there’s no need to compromise – you can visit the Rock without having to leave your amazing rail journey halfway.”
Book now and save:
Advance Purchase – Save up to AU$650 (approx. £350) per person (in Gold Service) on the four-day “The Ghan Expedition” when booking at least six months in advance. For travel from July 2015 onwards, subject to availability. Fares from AU$2,549 (approx. £1,380) per person.
International Earlybird – Save up to AU$490 (approx. £265) per person (in Gold Service) for travel southbound (Darwin to Alice to Adelaide) on The Ghan. For travel from October 2015 onwards, subject to availability. Fares from AU$1,029 (approx. £558) per person.
These new off train experiences on the Ghan, in Private, Platinum or Gold, come hot on the heels of earlier changes introduced to the overall rail experiences that include:
- Inclusive fares featuring off rail excursions, dining and beverages, not just at meal times but throughout the entire journey’s duration
- Regional menus and wine lists that reflect and complement the landscape being experiences
NOTE TO EDITORS:
The four-day/three-night southbound service (Darwin to Adelaide) departs only in peak season (May – August) on Saturdays with the following itinerary:
- Day 1: Darwin & Katherine: Day 2: Alice Springs: Day 3: Coober Pedy: Day 4: Adelaide
The three-day/two-night northbound service (Adelaide to Darwin) departs year round on Sundays, but in peak season (May to August) departs Wednesdays with the following stops:
- Day 1: Adelaide: Day 2: Marla (outback sunrise stop) & Alice Springs: Day 3: Katherine & Darwin
For full fares and further information visit www.greatsouthernrail.com.au. To book visit austravel.com, trailfinders.com and freedomaustralia.co.uk.