Family Friendly Holidays at Terme Beach Resort, Ravenna, Italy
Written by: Jovanka Ristich
Date: 24th August 2015
Terme Beach Resort situated in Ravenna, in Italy’s Emilia-Romagna region, is a modern, single-storey wooden property located directly on an 80-meter wide sandy stretch of beach overlooking the Adriatic Sea. A pinewood forest provides the hotel with a cool, verdant backdrop.
The hotel is the perfect base for families, providing family friendly service and accommodation, direct access to the sea from a sandy beach, and plenty of activities within an hour’s radius.
Here is a list of top ten things for families to do in the area whilst staying at Terme Beach Resort:
- MIRABILANDIA is a theme park with a big focus on aquatic rides including ‘Divertical’, the highest water coaster in the world. There are over 35 rides and experiences to choose from, as well as a whole range of live action shows.
- SAFARI RAVENNA is a 35-hectare wildlife park home to a large collection of African wildlife including tigers, lions, elephants and hippos.
- LA RONDINE is an educational farm where visitors can feed the animals, take care of the vegetable garden, learn about harvesting and what it means to run an organic farm. It is also possible to sample food grown on the farm.
- THE BUTTERFLY HOUSE & CO is an educational wildlife park whose main attraction is the 500 square meter greenhouse filled with hundreds of colourful tropical butterflies. There is also an Insects House home to crickets, praying mantis, stick insects, bees, beetles and other interesting insects.
- CERVI AVVENTURA ADVENTURE PARK, set in 30 hectares of protected pinewood, gives visitors the opportunity of not only ‘flying’ between trees, but to also spend time in the aromatic, verdant shade of these majestic trees.
- CATTOLICA AQUARIUM is home penguins, turtles, sharks, tropical fish, crocodiles, stingrays and piranhas. Also, on entry, each child receives a free backpack.
- RICCIONE WATER PARK is one of Europe’s biggest water parks. Enormous swimming pools produce waves and also feature numerous water slides.
- BIRDWATCHING at PUNTA ALBERETE WWF – Punta Alberete focuses on teaching children about flora, fauna and birds. Here birds live in awonderful waterside habitat. It is possible to observe herons and ibis, as well as reptiles like frogs and turtles, rare plants and flowers like orchids and water lilies.
- KITE INTERNATIONAL FESTIVAL – the spectacular Cervia Festival is one of the world’s biggest kite shows. For three days, thousands of kites from the smallest to the biggest, from over 30 countries, can be admired directly from the beach.
- KIDS FESTIVAL is held the second week of June and unfolds along 110 km of coast with a whole series of events dedicated to children ranging from magic shows to stunt demonstrations, guided farm tours to cooking lessons.
Over and above the many family, child friendly activities that can be experienced in close proximity to Terme Beach Resort, there are also on-site activities:
- SWIMMING IN THE POOL – the hotel is situated above mineral rich thermal springs, and its annexe, Terme di Punta Marina Spa, is home to an indoor swimming pool perfect for children and babies – from three months to 14 years of age. Aquatic activities include tutored swimming lessons. Here’s a short YouTube video showing babies enjoying the pool.
- SWIMMING SAFELY IN THE SEA – the hotel’s 80-meters of sandy beach front mean that there is ample space for some serious sandcastle building, whilst the shallow, graduated entry into the Adriatic make it especially safe for younger children still learning to swim.
- KAYAKING can be experienced both in the sea and in the inland water forests that surround western and northern Ravenna.
- CYCLING – the hotel has cycles on site which are offered free to guests.
The hotel has 26 rooms of which eight have direct access to the beach with private terraces, whilst six face towards the quiet internal garden courtyard. There are a further six family suites that can accommodate two adults and two children comfortably. Children aged up to four years of age stay for free and are half price from four to 12.
The nearest international airport, reached in an hour by car, is Bologna, serviced by a number of daily flights including BA from Heathrow and Ryan Air from Stansted. The hotel also offers free return airport/hotel transfers for guests (minimum number three people).
PRICES – The hotel regularly offers packages and special offers so please check the website for deals. But, for staying in September 2015, the hotel is offering a rate of Euros 954 (approx. £695) for a one week stay for four people (2 adults and 2 children) on a bed and breakfast basis. This price excludes international flights but includes complimentary airport/hotel/airport transfers from Bologna.