New Staff Uniforms and New Films Promoting Great Southern Rail
Written by: Jovanka Ristich
Date: 29th February 2016
Great Southern Rail (GSR), owner/operator of both of Australia’s iconic railway experiences, The Ghan and The Indian Pacific, is happy to announce that:
- All staff have new, specially designed R.M.Williams uniforms
- Four new films give guests a GSR experience taster
- In a special design collaboration, GSR has unveiled newly designed R.M.WILLIAMS UNIFORMS.
- Created by award winning Australian designer Juli Grbac in conjunction with iconic Australian outfitter R.M. Williams, the brief was to create uniforms reflecting GSR’s approach to rail journeys.
“We wanted a look that represented our expedition-style journeys and for our staff to be both excited and proud to wear it.” Said GSR chief operating officer, Ian Ladd.
After two years of design and consultation, Juli Grbac created something stylish, durable and functional for all Australian climates and destinations as staff can be greeting guests in Sydney one moment, serving dinner under the stars on the Nullarbor Plain the next, or joining guests on excursions in Katherine, Coober Pedy, Broken Hill or the Barossa.
“As a proud Australian, I was very excited to work with Great Southern Rail on this project,” said Juli Grbac. “Bringing together R.M. Williams and GSR really was a match made in heaven. Both brands share a strong heritage and a dedication to high quality. They appeal to many Australians both in the city and country.”
- More than 10,000 garments were produced
- 36 separate pieces were customised for male and female staff
- Uniforms were delivered to over 300 staff in five locations across Australia (Adelaide, Perth, Sydney, Darwin and Alice Springs)
- Video about the uniform launch
ABOUT: JULI GRBAC is a Brisbane-born designer who first rose to prominence as the inaugural winner of Project Runway Australia. Since 2008 her designs have been showcased around the globe and she has partnered with major brands including Virgin Australia.
ABOUT: R.M. WILLIAMS is an iconic Australian bush apparel and leather goods company founded by bootmaker Reginald Murray Williams in 1932 in South Australia. Today, R.M. Williams exports to 15 countries, has more than 50 Australian retail stores and is available at more than 900 stockists around the globe.
NEW FILMS have been produced to join GSR’s already impressive portfolio providing guests with an insight, or a record, of what it’s like to travel on both The Ghan and the Indian Pacific.
- Beyond the Tracks – Nitmiluk Gorge on The Ghan
- Beyond the Tracks – Barossa on the Indian Pacific
- Dining on The Ghan and Indian Pacific
ABOUT: GREAT SOUTHERN RAIL is the owner/operator of both Australia’s great rail journeys.
- The Ghan covers 2,979km between Adelaide and Darwin snaking through Australia’s Outback via Alice Springs. 2014 marked the Ghan’s 85th anniversary. The Ghan’s inaugural journey taking place in 1929 and was solely between Adelaide and Alice. It took another 75 years to complete the remaining section between Alice and Darwin. In 2004 The Ghan become a bonefide cross continental experience.
- The Indian Pacific crosses 4,353km coast to coast between Sydney and Perth via Adelaide and across the Nullarbor Plain. 2015 saw the Indian Pacific celebrate its 45th anniversary.