The Ghan Doubles Departures in its 90th Anniversary Year
Written by: Jovanka Ristich
Date: 18th February 2019
To celebrate The Ghan’s 90th anniversary, a second service has been added providing more opportunities to experience this epic cross continental journey whilst also taking part in 90 days of birthday celebrations throughout June, July and August 2019.
The second set of departures will leave Adelaide for Darwin on Wednesdays (a two- night/three-day service), with the southbound Ghan Expedition departing Darwin on Saturdays (a three-night/four-day experience).
In addition, six new Platinum Service carriages have been added to the fleet along with a series of holiday packages connected with the new northbound Wednesday service, allowing travellers to break their journey in Alice Springs. This journey break affords more time in the Red Centre before rejoining The Ghan a few days later.
Another new feature is the introduction of six signature, beyond the tracks packages ranging from eight to 14-days in duration. Highlights include visits to Uluru and Kakadu National Park, 4WD adventures and Darwin city touring. Each itinerary heroes a different part of The Ghan experience, allowing guests to explore further afield.
SAMPLE 14-DAY/13-NIGHT “TERRITORY COMPLETE” PACKAGE:
Price starts from AUD$5,379 per person for a Gold Service Advance Purchase.
- 4 days/2 nights on The Ghan, Adelaide to Alice Springs, and then Alice Springs to Darwin inclusive of all meals, drinks & Off Train Experiences
- 7 nights accommodation in the Red Centre spread across Alice Springs, Kings Canyon and Uluru. Guided tour highlights include sunrise and sunset at Uluru
- 3 nights accommodation in Darwin and one night in Kakadu National Park. Guided tour highlights include Yellow Water Billabong cruise and the rock art at Nourlangie
- To book – The Territory Complete
The Ghan is one of Australia’s two cross continental rail experiences:
- Length of journey: 2,979 km
- Route: Adelaide to Darwin via Alice Springs and vice versa.
- The Ghan duration: two nights/three days (54 hours), Adelaide – Darwin
- The Ghan Expedition duration: three nights/four days (76 hours), Darwin – Adelaide
- Regular weekly departures from Adelaide are on Sundays
- Regular weekly departures from Darwin are on Wednesdays
- Three months of second service departures, June – August 2019, will leave Adelaide on Wednesdays & Darwin on Saturdays
- The Ghan’s inclusive Off Train Excursions include:
- Alice Springs
- The Ghan Expedition’s inclusive Off Train Excursions include:
- Alice Springs
- Coober Pedy